Monday, June 29, 2015

If Virginia Is For Lovers, What Is New Jersey For?

All jokes aside, there is something truly unique about New Jersey. Parts of it are really industrial (and they smell like it too). Other parts are so pleasantly nondescript that a general photo could trick viewers into thinking that it was taken somewhere else. Perhaps most importantly, there are parts that are so historic and breathtaking that even the passage of time can't diminish their natural beauty. Guess which parts we visited?

We did have to cut through a little bit of options one and two here and there, but finally reaching option three was more than worth it. After arriving in Philadelphia late Friday night, our first stop on Saturday was Cape May, the southern-most point in New Jersey and a seaside town full of old Victorian houses and turn-of-the-century whimsy. My grandparents (on my mom's side) lived here when I was younger, and it was almost surreal how identical everything looked to my youthful memories.

That uncanny sense of direction helped me guide us toward memorable areas. Because I was able to find the library, I knew that my grandparents' old apartment building had to be nearby, and their building led me to the small commercial district that started across the street. If my internal compass had kicked in sooner, maybe we wouldn't have worn out Chris's phone by using the navigation app so often!

I was rather disappointed to see that some of the local businesses had given way to corporate influences like Dairy Queen and Ben & Jerry's. Other than that, most of what I was able to remember was there: the arcades, the mini-golf courses, the ancient boardwalk motels. My preferred stop for salt water taffy, Fralinger's, is still standing. (And still delicious!)

I was more relieved to discover that my favorite childhood store is still around too. Whale's Tale is a beach-themed gift and novelty shop with a great selection of children's books and educational toys and games. Yep, I was that big of a nerd, and I still am! I insisted on going in to see how it had changed over the years. Aside from the obvious ins and outs of inventory, I took great comfort in the fact that the store looked, felt, and even smelled the same.

The mix of salty ocean air and fragrant home decor sent me and my nose flying down memory lane. I couldn't quite figure out exactly how long it had been since I last visited this part of the Jersey shore, but it must have been at least 20 years ago. (If any family members can help me establish a more definitive timeline, I'd greatly appreciate it!) Either way, it was wonderful to relive the past while also sharing the present with Chris. 

We had just started to head back to the rental car when a huge rainstorm hit. There was no thunder or lightning, but enough strong wind and heavy rain to send everyone scrambling for cover... or an umbrella (ella, ella) large enough to handle the elements. Our small but mighty umbrella was no match for the wind, so we stayed dry with a few other brave tourists under the awning of a shoe store for about 30 minutes. 

Once the storm weakened to a light drizzle, we resumed our trek to the car -- but not before a quick stop for water ice. (Shout-out and shameless plug for Rita's!) Those of you who have tasted this magical nectar for yourselves need no further background, but for those of you who do, Wikipedia explains it best. Water ice is more hydrating and refreshing than a snow cone or a Slurpee, so Colorado could certainly use a few shops of its own. A stand in LoDo or on Pearl Street would be a hit, especially considering how hot our recent summers have been.

Less than two hours later, we arrived in Atlantic City, which is farther north along the coast. While it hasn't retained the majestic glory of its storied past, plenty of reminders still exist of just how influential the city used to be as a destination. (Think of it as a smaller, oceanfront Las Vegas Strip.) Between disasters both natural and financial, AC has managed to thrive at a lesser scale, but it's still a fascinating seasonal locale.

After checking in at the legendary Claridge Hotel, we were disheartened to see that the rain had returned in fuller force than earlier that afternoon. We clearly picked the wrong day to visit the shore, but torrential rain doesn't get in the way of hungry travelers! We ran under the cover of three different buildings to reach Caesars Palace and still managed to get drenched. Undeterred, we made our way up to their Palace Court Buffet to celebrate Chris's birthday by eating our way through an impressive spread of various cuisines. While we were surprised that wine wasn't included with our dinner (since it had been at the Monte Carlo's buffet on our last trip to Vegas), we definitely got our money's worth trying a little bit of everything else.

On Sunday, we hit the boardwalk to take in the sights and sounds of the beach. (Side note: Atlantic City was the inspiration for the classic board game Monopoly, and The Claridge sits at the corner of Boardwalk and Park Place. By staying there, do I automatically win every time I play Monopoly from now on?) It was already quite warm for only 10 in the morning, but the ocean breeze kept us from melting. We felt even worse for the stragglers of some kind of race or marathon that had taken place earlier in the day. Dealing with the heat on top of running through a growing crowd takes a dedicated athlete.

Elsewhere on the boardwalk, we managed to avoid any run-ins with rejected applicants for "Jersey Shore," and Chris mastered how to tell the difference between bro-dudes and dude-bros. It's an important distinction, and I'm considering offering a seminar -- you know, from a social anthropology perspective! Some of my working titles are "Know Your Bros," "Bromance For Beginners," and "Douchebags 101."

By Sunday afternoon, we're already done with the Jersey leg of our adventure, but the trip is far from over. The bulk of our journey awaits us in and around downtown Philadelphia. Pennsylvania and New Jersey are mere miles apart -- down to just feet in some places -- but it feels like a whole other world away when considering the one-of-a-kind charms of the Garden State. (See? I can be nice to Jersey when I want to be!)

P.S. I do have one closing sentiment about someone who has been an East Coast fixture for a long time. He's always been controversial, but now he's past the point of no return and I was able to tell him so. Actually, I told one of his buildings. With a certain finger. I decided that this was probably a more polite thing to publish:

No comments:

Post a Comment